Tuesday, June 16, 2009

A Walk Down Memory Lane at the Farm in Leamington, Utah

On Memorial Day I went with my parents, my brother Bob, and my sister Julie and their families to the farm of my Grandparents, Oxel and Maude Johnson in Leamington, Utah—a little town of about 150 people between Delta and Nephi. My Grandfather's parents joined the LDS Church in Sweden and immigrated to Utah before he was born. My mother was also born and raised in Leamington, and I have great childhood memories of visiting Grandpa and Grandma there on their farm. I would spend at least a week each summer there with them - it was a kids paradise: I helped Grandpa milk the cows in the barn (picture above) that is still there on the property, gathered eggs with Grandma, walked the railroad tracks, looked for baby kitties in the haystack, rode horses, walked to the store to buy penny candy, rode with Grandpa on the tractor, swam in the canal, and walked across the cornfields to play with my cousins. On Memorial Day we visited the old church, which is now a museum. It was built on property that my Great Grandparents donated to the church. My parents still own the land that my Grandparents farmed. It was a great day remembering them and the sacrifices they made so that we could have the blessings of the gospel in our lives. Kirk and Scott weren't quite as interested in my childhood memories, so they spent the day hunting trilobite fossils near Delta. They actually found some and had a great time.

No comments: