Monday, December 28, 2009

Christmas with Shellie and George

It turns out we ended up celebrating with family on Christmas Day after all. At our celebration a week earlier, George took us aside and said, "Come down to Las Vegas next week and see me surprise Shellie with a new car for Christmas!" So Kirk and Scott and I slept over on Christmas Eve, and enjoyed a pancake breakfast Christmas morning with them and a bunch of George's family members. It was really fun to see Shellie get her car - George worked really hard at keeping it a secret from her. After the car excitement we gathered the whole crew for a rousing round of Christmas chimes. I bet I've done something none of you can claim —leading a roomful of Jewish folks in playing Christmas carols on the chimes on Christmas Day!!?? It was quite the experience! They all were really good sports and did a great job. Maybe next year for Hanukkah, they'll invite over a bunch of us Mormons to join them in lighting the menorah and playing the dreidel game. Actually, I think that would be fun!












We were also able to huddle around Shellie's computer so we could Skype Mike and Bri's family in China on Christmas Eve (Christmas morning for them) and Kenny and Christan's family in D.C. to see all their Christmas fun. After we left Las Vegas, we headed to Leeds to see our friends the Fowlks. They had their whole family together (if we didn't love them so much, we'd be pretty jealous) —I think that makes about 25 years in a row that we've celebrated either Christmas or Christmas Eve with our good friends, the Fowlks. All in all, our Christmas celebrations were wonderful with family, and friends, and the heightened sense of peace and love that comes about when we celebrate the birth of our Savior. I am so grateful for Him.




5 comments:

Denise said...

I love seeing updates on your family! I miss you!

I think I need to visit your kids, too. Will they take me in after we ruined them with our "teaching them at church?" ;0) I really want to visit DC and China.

Pauline said...

It was great to have you here it wouldn't have been the same had you not come. Thanks for joining our crazy home and again on New Years. Do you think before I die I can get Kirk to stay up till midnight? :)

Barrett Family said...

What a memorable Christmas!!! I love the picture of you and Abby... you are beautiful, Joan! We wish we could have seen you over the Holdiays, but hope to catch you on the next trip!

Shellie said...

We had such a great time with you guys here on Christmas morning!! I think you probably are the only Mormon to play chimes on Christmas morning with a bunch of Jews!! It was sooo fun! They actually did really good.
Thanks for sharing that special morning with us! We love you guys!!

P.S.
Caynen was just sitting on my lap looking at the pictures you have on this post and he saw a picture of Scott and he pointed at the picture and said "hey you" and clapped his hands with excitement!!! My kids love Scotty!!

Lisa said...

You truly are my second mom! Did you know my family also plays Christmas songs with chimes!? We have a poster boards just like the ones you were holding up! (Enter Twilight Zone Music Here.) Glad you had such a great Christmas!