Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Hanging Up the Badge

After 33 years in law enforcement, Kirk is hanging up the badge! He will retire as Sheriff of Washington County on January 4th (Mike's birthday). He was sworn in on January 4th as Sheriff 12 years ago, and he was sworn in as a Highway Patrolman on January 4th in 1978. So Mike's birthday has been extra eventful through the years. There have definitely been mixed emotions for us, and especially for Kirk as he has attended many retirement events in his behalf, and has been honored by many organizations, and by many individual people. A retirement open house that the county put on for Kirk had people lined up out of the meeting room, into the foyer, down the stairs and out into the parking lot. He was really humbled by all the attention he received. One night we attended 3 events where he was honored. He's received plaques and statues and gifts (the county gave him an ipad instead of a watch - he's LOVING that), and lots of cards. The most touching to me have been the individual cards and stories that I've read and heard people tell, about how Kirk made a difference in their lives. From a wife telling us that Kirk was the one who stopped her husband from committing suicide years ago, to the man who came into his office and said, "you arrested me 20 years ago, and I spent prison three years in prison . . . and you saved my life" —we heard story after story of his good influence through the years. I think I should write a book about him! I think the comment I heard most often was about Kirk's honesty, integrity, and his "incredible moral compass" (as one person explained it). I am so proud of him and his career.




5 comments:

Danette said...

Wow! I still can't believe it! Have a blast in retirement Uncle Kirk! ;)

Des said...

I definitely think you should write a book. Kirk definitely deserves any recognition he gets. He is one amazing guy. Enjoy retirement! :)

Pauline said...

He has touched many lives for the good. Our family being one of them. It will be different not seeing him in a uniform but I am hoping that the relaxation of your new adventure will be a great one for you both

Kelly said...

Love that Kearns picture! It brings back the memories. I hope you enjoy your time together and have many great adventures! You are wonderful people and I am so glad that our families crossed paths.

P.S. My dad retired in Oct. He is enjoying it. They just turned in their mission papers! We are getting excited!

Rebecca said...

congratulations! Can't wait to see you again!